By Rachel Landman, Marketing Manager
We are celebrating Los Alamos ScienceFest all week at the nature center! From Wednesday, July 11 to Sunday, July 15, there will be a science-themed program happening every day for all ages to enjoy. We’ll be showing a sci-fi film, hosting an electric vehicle show, showing families how they can identify organisms, and much more in this jam-packed week!
Check out the Los Alamos Nature Center’s ScienceFest schedule:
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 11 at 6:30 PM — Summer Family Evening with Los Alamos Makers
- Learn about DNA Barcoding with the Los Alamos Makers and find out how you can extract DNA to identify a wide variety of organisms! This event is free for PEEC members and $5 per non-member family. Summer Family Evenings are sponsored by Del Norte Credit Union.
- THURSDAY, JULY 12 at 6 PM— Suds & Shows: Back to the Future
- Watch Back to the Future in the planetarium and enjoy drinks from Pajarito Brewpub. The doors will open and drinks will be available at 6 p.m. Bring a picnic to enjoy outside the nature center before the show, which starts at 7 p.m. Taylor Martinez with RE/MAX First is sponsoring this event. Tickets for Suds & Shows have been selling out quickly, so call the nature center at 505-662-0460 to reserve yours soon! $5 per ticket, plus cash bar.
- FRIDAY, JULY 13 at 7 PM — Construct Your Own Virtual World
- Hear about Jason Reiss’s journey from growing up playing video games in Los Alamos to working as a Level Designer for Gearbox Software. He’ll also show the audience a simple software he uses to make video games that anyone can use! Free.
- SATURDAY, JULY 14 from 10 AM to 1 PM — Electric Vehicle Show
- Explore electric-powered vehicles, meet their owners, and take a test drive at the nature center! There will be about 35 electric vehicles on-site, and about 12 of them will be available to test ride or drive. In addition to touring cars, watch The Next Frontier: Engineering the Golden Age of Green in the planetarium at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. This documentary is free to see thanks to the Los Alamos Department of Public Utilities.
- SUNDAY, JULY 15 at 2 PM — PBS Science Café: NOVA’s Day the Dinosaurs Died
- See a segment of NOVA’s Day the Dinosaurs Died and join experts for a discussion on asteroid threats. This event is free to attend, but registration is required. Compa Industries is sponsoring this NM PBS Science Café.
Our staff is so excited to be a part of this signature community event and we hope you’ll join us for some of the activities we have planned for the week!
ScienceFest celebrates Los Alamos’ heritage with history and science-based events for the entire family. This year’s signature sponsor is New Mexico Magazine and the theme is “Science Rules.” Los Alamos MainStreet produces ScienceFest in collaboration with the Los Alamos Creative District and Los Alamos County.