The Pajarito Environmental Education Center is excited to join in the fun of Los Alamos ScienceFest again this year! This popular festival is coming to our community virtually from July 7 – 14 with lectures, STEAM activities, discussions, and much more that you can join from the comfort and safety of home. The theme of this year’s festival is 20/20: Eyes on the Future!
Check out PEEC’s offerings for this year’s virtual ScienceFest:
- TUESDAY, JULY 7 at 7 PM — A Conversation with Pat Brown, CEO & Founder, Impossible Foods
- Join Pat Brown, CEO & Founder of Impossible Foods, for this interactive discussion on the future of food! Impossible Foods is a company at the forefront of making nutritious, delicious meat and dairy products from plants to satisfy meat lovers and address the environmental impacts of animal farming. Questions may be submitted in advance to email@example.com, or can be asked during the live event. The conversation is sponsored by Los Alamos MainStreet and the Pajarito Environmental Education Center (PEEC). Register here.
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 8 at 6 PM — Virtual Summer Family Evening: Energy with Explora, Sponsored by Del Norte Credit Union & Los Alamos ScienceFest
- Join the Explora Science Center to explore humanity’s greatest resource: electrical energy! Explora’s Anthony Salvagno will lead this event and help the audience explore electrical phenomena with shocks, sparks, and plasma balls! We’ll then explore how electricity gets from power plants to your home, and how we can manage energy for the future. Learn more and register here.
- FRIDAY, JULY 10 at 7 PM — The Future of Manned Space Exploration
- Learn about the future of manned space exploration in this ScienceFest astronomy talk from Rick Wallace. Rick will discuss current plans and studies related to commercial space travel, plans for colonizing Mars, and more. Learn more and register here.
- SATURDAY, JULY 11 at 12 PM — Virtual Electric Vehicle Show
- Meet electric vehicle owners in PEEC’s live-streamed Electric Vehicle Show! Get a tour of their cars and ask your questions about going electric with your transportation! This event will be a part of Los Alamos ScienceFest’s virtual Discovery Day and is brought to you by the Los Alamos Department of Public Utilities. Learn more and register here. One of our presenters, Jim TenCate put together some informational materials on electric vehicles, too! You can view that document here.
- SATURDAY, JULY 11 at 2 PM — PBS Science Café: Animal Espionage on the Pajarito Plateau
- Join PEEC and New Mexico PBS for the July virtual Science Café. Watch a segment of NOVA Animal Espionage and join a discussion with Hari Viswanathan. Hari will discuss his adventures in capturing wildlife on camera and his experiences visiting the Pantanal area highlighted in the documentary. Register here.
There is much more going on throughout the week! Be sure to check out the full schedule of events on ScienceFest’s website. We hope to “see” you at ScienceFest! Be sure to register as an attendee through the Whova mobile app or desktop web app.