PEEC is pleased to announce the establishment of a fund dedicated to the future of the Los Alamos Nature Center. Generous private donors made the nature center exhibits possible. Now, we want to ensure that these exhibits continue to delight and educate our visitors for years to come.
“A Vertical Mile of Diversity” is one of our most popular exhibits. It shows plants and animals that have adapted to each of the life zones on the Pajarito Plateau. Just as they adapt to a changing environment, so must a sustainable organization.
The Vertical Mile Society will ensure that PEEC and the Los Alamos Nature Center are ready for whatever changes come our way.
Join the Vertical Mile Society today!
Interested in making a stock or security donation, or in receiving information on planned giving? Please contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Vertical Mile Society:
- Is this an endowment fund? No, it’s a restricted fund. Endowment funds preserve the principal and spend the interest. Because interest rates are so low, this kind of fund does not make sense at this time. However, the funds are restricted. That means they can only be spent on exhibits.
- What restrictions are there on how the money can be used? The donor-restricted Vertical Mile Society funds may only be used to maintain, update, replace, and repair indoor and outdoor exhibits, as well as to design and build new exhibits.
- Do I need to renew my membership in the Vertical Mile Society each year? No.
- Are contributions to the Vertical Mile Society cumulative? Yes. You may climb from the canyons towards the skies with each successive gift to this fund.
- I gave $1,000. Am I automatically a member of the Vertical Mile Society? No. Because this is a designated fund, you must tell us that you would like your gift to go towards the Vertical Mile Society.